Thursday, March 1, 2007

The Enemy

Whenever he comes around I get shivers.
My skin gets goosebumps
and my lip trembles.
I can feel my stomach churn, bile climbing up my throat;
while my bowels release their contents.

Although I want to run away, my body is frozen in place.
My muscles, now weaker than a baby refuse to budge me.
Here I stand, unable to fight or flee, wishing to be away from here.

The minutes flow by as hours as I try to keep him away from me.
Slowly I get control of myself, my breathing starts to slow down,
and my muscles end their rebellion and I can start to move again.

Now I can see that I have nothing to fear,
the enemy has no power over me that I don't allow him.
So I turn and face him, eye to eye, and laugh at him.

Finally I have conquered the enemy and he turns away from me.
As he leaves he turns one more time to face me,
only to find me smiling at him as I wave.
With a frown he turns and walks out of my life.

25/09/2003

No comments: